Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Poverty...

Indonesia was the first 'developing country' I ever stepped foot on. And the contrasts were shocking. Many things I saw tore my heart apart and made me question what it is in the world that can allow such things to happen...

I'm still searching for the answer.

Street children

Little feet walking naked in the rain,
Little fingers, clutching coins of silver and gold.
Ragged clothes and soiled faces,
Street life is not one of riches.

Cars and buses roar thundering by,
Yet each is a stage, a land of opportunity.
They perform their arts, songs and dance,
Or reveal their little sad stories.

Little feet walking on potholed roads,
Little fingers, clutching onto dear survival.
Little guitars, and sweet little voices,
In a big grown-up world, one of untold vices.

All the while,
Keeping up a sweet little smile
I… I…
I too was once a child.

(July, 2005)



beggars outside a temple

homless lady, sleeping in the shade


mother and half naked child, barefoot on the street Posted by Picasa

No comments: